1. Fireplaces Look for not just one, but two. Guests can enjoy one fireplace for the double whirlpool tub in the bathroom, and one for the bedroom controlled by remote while lying in bed or cuddling on the love seat. The bedroom fireplace has a beautiful window over it, allowing one to view the stars over the fireplace at night. This was an influence from Mark Twain's private study in his home in Hartford, CT. He wanted to be able to see outdoors and have the snowflakes appearing to fall onto his fire; great idea as it works just as well all these years later with a gas fireplace.
2. Whirlpool and Hot Tubs Again, the Rolsens knew their guests looking for the ultimate in romance would want the double whirlpool tub in the bathroom, but they didn't stop there. There is also a wonderful Hot Springs Hot Tub on this Hannibal MO cottage's private deck, overlooking the pond.
3. The Ultimate Bathroom The enormous king-sized bed sports 1200, yes, twelve hundred, thread count linens. For those who don't know about thread counts, this feels like the ultimate in satiny sheets. The bathroom offers a ten by four-and-a-half foot shower with eleven showerheads, including one that rain down from the top. Technically, this should count as a whirlpool tub, as it's ultimately a vertical whirlpool. There are two sinks, and lest you think the Rolsens forgot anything, one is taller than the other, to offer something for the tall and something for the shorter guests. Finally, there is a bidet in the water closet, and a towel warmer rounds out the luxury.
4. The Kitchen and Breakfast The kitchen is complete with a full size sink, Keurig coffee machine, convection toaster oven (fits a 12-in frozen pizza), microwave and refrigerator (which we do stock with sodas and bottled water). While normally guests enjoy breakfast in the dining room at the mansion, in true romance fashion, breakfast is deliver to the Dowager Cottage. When guest head to bed at night they close the pocket door between the bedroom and kitchen. In the morning, we sneak in, set up a wonderful breakfast, and before we leave flip a light switch to let you know we are on our way out and it is safe to get out of bed. The perfect private breakfast for two.
5. Entertainment The loft of this cottage is where you can find an entertainment center featuring DISH Network, surround sound, tons of DVDs, games, and puzzles. A comfy couch lets you settle in your loved one and relax.
$395 per night (This Cottage was created for two guests only and features a King sized bed.)